Thursday, May 14, 2009

Vegan Cupcake Recipe

I just got done posting my vegan cupcake recipe on the blog Haute Whimsey so I figured I should post it here too. Since I make little glass cupcakes all of the time it seemed only appropriate to post an actual recipe I use...so here goes.

So I'm lactose intolerant or lactartded as a friend of mine says. I do love cupcakes though!
So I found a really great recipe for vegan Boston Cream Pie...the cake part is awesome! And here it is. Give it a try. I've been told by milk consumers that these guys are amazing. Let me know what you think. Oh and the frosting recipe is based on Sprinkles Cupcakes cream cheese frosting. It's good enough for frosting shots!!

Vegan Cupcake Recipe
Use organic ingredients whenever possible!

Dry Ingredients
2 C all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt

Wet Ingredients
1 ¼ C sugar
½ C oil (I prefer walnut or olive)
½ C soy yogurt
2 t vanilla extract
1 ¼” soymilk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl add sugar and oil and mix well. I like to do this by hand with a wisk. Next add yogurt and vanilla and mix well. Finally add in the soy milk and again mix well.

Gradually add in the flour mixture about 1/3 C at a time making sure it’s not lumpy. Continue adding in the flour mixture until it’s all included. Make sure the batter is well mixed. There should be no lumps.

Prepare the cupcake pan with paper liners. This recipe yields over 12 cupcakes so I like to make a small extra cake on the side. That way if I have to give away the cupcakes I still have a bit of cake for myself. Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I have found 28 minutes to be perfect in my oven but some oven temperatures vary so always test for doneness with a toothpick or small knife. It should come out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick vegan margarine
8 0z. Tofutti cream cheese or some other vegan cream cheese
3 ½ C powdered sugar

Allow the margarine and cream cheese to soften to room temperature. Mix with hand electric mixer to a smooth consistency. Gradually add the powdered sugar a cup a time. Mix thoroughly but try not to over mix. Chill before frosting the cupcakes.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

lactarded *smile*... coined right here folks ;)